Tub: Glazing pros and cons

Can you folks share the pros and cons and costs of reglazing a bath tub? Is there anything I should know about when I talk the the guy so I can talk intelligently with him?

Thanks,

Jeff

I just got two of my tubs done and it looks goo, just like new. I have not had any complaints as of yet!

Jeff, the only con I can think of is price. I priced a reglaze vs. a new tub and it was cheaper to install a new tub since I was replacing the tile surround anyway. On a 5 ft. tub, they wanted $350 to 400 to reglaze it. Ouch!

I have seen some homes where there is a pink cast iron tub and the only way to get it out is to tear down a wall. That’s going to be a lot more expensive. A friend of mine has a tub refinishing company and there is a lot of profit built into that price. Let the guy know that your budget will only allow $300 and see what he says.

NDI

[quote author=ND Investor ]
I have seen some homes where there is a pink cast iron tub and the only way to get it out is to tear down a wall. That’s going to be a lot more expensive. A friend of mine has a tub refinishing company and there is a lot of profit built into that price. Let the guy know that your budget will only allow $300 and see what he says.

NDI

Any cast iron tub is easy to get out. You just hit hard enough with a sledge hammer and it breaks into pieces. Easy one man job beside the cleanup of the little pieces.
If steel tub cut with a sawall with a good blade.

If I am selling then I reglaze if holding property long term, then I replace.

I a refinisher and the only thing you need to know is that refinishers will accept a negotiated price rather than just walk away. Tell them you need it done for $300 and then if they balk at that…then look for another refinisher.

Here’s the secret to the refinishing biz: “Get a owner/operator…not a refinishing company!” The companies have plenty of business usually they won’t budge, however the single man operation will usually take what they can get."

Personally, I refinish tubs for $245 all the time even though I advertise at $325.

Good Luck.

Has anyone tried the repair kit from home depot. It only costs $30 and could save you a bundle, buy I’m not sure how well it works because I have never used it.

Here is a thread from another site on the subject:
http://www.hometalkers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2932.html

Weldon

I have tried it and I would not recommend it. The finish is far from what a proffessional would charge. I have heard of the finish peeling off after a period of time.

NDI