To what extent are you rehabing?

For all of you experienced rehabers - to what extent do you generally rehab? Cosmetic repairs like carpet, paint, appliances, fixtures, etc. or are you making structural changes like additions, roofing, windows, etc.? What types of properties do you usually do (SFRs, condos, multis)?

I know each property is different but I’m just trying to get a sense for what an average rehaber does to decide if it’s something I want to get into (I did it with a primary residence that I lived in fo 4 years once and really enjoyed the satisfaction of the process). Thanks!

It would be nice to make big profits with only cosmetic fix up. The uglier it is the lower the price should be. Concentrate your work on what sells the house, front door/ first appearance, kitchen, bathroom. If you have a functional window are you going to change it out to a new double pane low e window? But you may well change counter tops, sinks, faucets to be up to date. In many of the older houses the kitchen was a separate room. Opening up that room by removing a wall or part of pne may modernize it.

One of the bigger expenses is AC, but would you want to live in the house in a house that didn’t have AC. If you get into foundations and roofs be sure the equity is there to pay for it. Your goal is always 20% of the ARV as the profit.

Howdy

Great answer Bud. I just bought one that needed everything. Paid $30,000 and ARV of $120,000. Spending $35,000 in rehab leveling, roofing, opening up rooms, all new windows, HVAC plumb, elect service update, wood floors and ceramics, removed paneling and patch 10 sheets sheetrock, etc. Should net $25,000 to $30,000 profit when sold. Hard money costs high and Realtors and carry costs .

Another deal a 2/2 condo only needed carpet and paint, new tile and appliances. Bought for $28,000 and will spend $3500 on repairs. Should sell for low 50’s with profit of $10,000 to $12,000.

Love to do a hundred of either. Putting together work crew to help take burdon off me

Good luck and thank you,
Ted P. Stokely Jr
11505 Sw Oaks
Austin, Texas 78737
512-301-9171 home
512-587-6177 mobile

Dixie,

As Bud stated… the worse the house… the bigger the profits… or at least that’s the way it usually works =) I will gladly do Paint carpet and updating if it will net me 20K… but usually I am having to loook at houses that need Roof,Foundations, Wiring, and AC the 4 most expensive things… . but also I am finding some good people that do these things at great prices! Look for the workers that are really hungry for the work and you can get some amazing deals. The longer you are in the business… the better deals you can find on getting the work done at a great price.

Hope this helps,
Heather Zaal

I like to stay with single family and duplex homes. They always require significant repairs and new mechanical systems: shoring, termite work, new electrical, plumbing, heat a/c, etc. No paint or carpet here. (I’ve heard of those things before, but don’t believe they exist. I believe in the snowman before I do the paint and carpet rehab)…

Hal

A lot of the properties we buy do not need extensive repairs. Roofs, floors, plumbing, etc are about as bad as it gets. We rarely need a permit for any of the work we do.

I’ve found that the majority of the investors in my area pass on what I think are the best deals. Too much work I guess. :-X