Replacement windows

Where can I get double hung vinyl replacement windows for a good price? I live in CT, but will buy from anywhere in the US as long as they deliver. Any thoughts, I know lowes and HD are options but was wondering if there are any cheaper places. Thank you

even if you order from HD or Lowes, ask if they can drop ship them to your job site. Saves having go in and pick them up and/or delievry fees.

Plus delivery guys from those companies are a bunch goons; about 50% of the time, at least one item is damaged. This is a huge time waster to take it back, etc; espeically if its a special order. I’ve had my time line blown twice by delievry people damaging special order stuff.

What knd of house are you using them in? Is it high end or low end? If you are doing a nice middle to upper value home in New England look into Andersen windows. The reason I say that is you can get exterior applied grills on the Andersons and they make the front of a house just explode with curb appeal. They will cost anywhere from $250 and up but they can really sell a home! Plus they are super easy to install. They have a vinyl nailing flange around the perimeter, just remove your old windows 908 exterior casing and the andersons will slipp right in.

Unfortunately, I had the same experience. When I added 840 sq feet to my house with Garage below, I watched one of the Big Box Store “Goons” drop one of my $170 special order Pella windows down 3 bays… ::slight_smile: :-\ >:( >:(

It is a multi family that I am renting out so definately do not need high end windows.

Howdy Jmarmole:

What type siding do you have? If it is wood you will do OK with removing the trim and cutting back the siding to remove the old windows if they are old aluminum windows. If you have brick, stone or stucco siding you will want to hire a professional company to come in and build a window to slip over the existing frame without cutting or damaging the masonry. Most double hung aluminum windows and vinyl too average about $100.

I have vinyl siding and the existing windows are the old wooden kind with the sash cords and weights. I need something affordable and the cheapest I have seen so far is about 300 installed or about 175 for windows only (Home Depot). Window sizes range from 28x65 to 34x65 so they will be special order windows. Just want to find the cheapest place to get the windows before I buy them, at this point it looks like 175 at HD is the cheapest. If there are better place, please advise.

Harvey vinyl windows, dual sash, double pane, low e, 270 (or less) installed (under 100 united inches) just about anywhere in CT. Email for details

HD, Menards, Lowes and other borgs are just a middle man between you and the factory. I would look in yellow pages or ask fellow construction people about “remodelers supply” or " builders supply". comparing same value you save a lot. beside once you install nobody really cares what brand is the window after you remove the sticker as long they see they are new. that just my opinion. thanks

I have bought the Jenco, Wenco and and Crestline vinyl windows from Menards and they are on average $100 per window. Jeff in Ct has a great installed price in Ct area! Contractors in my area (North Dakota) are quaoting about $500 and up per window installed. On my rentals I am using sheetrock to trim out the windows with the rounded corners. This is very inexpensive compared to using wood to trim the windows. The look is clean and neat.

Best of luck!
NDI

JM,
If you live in Southern Connecticut and/or don’t mind traveling south to Brooklyn or Central Jersey, you can get windows for between $75-$125. Start with All United Windows in Brooklyn. Ask for Pat.
You can get aluminum commercial grade windows for about the same price.
You said you have vinyl siding. You didn’t say whether the wood casing around the window was capped with trim or not. Contractors ususally charge extra for this. Hopefully they did this so your total exterior is maintenance free.

Either way this is definately a D.I.Y. project.
To correctly size your new windows:
Deduct 1/2" off the width and 1/4" - 3/8" off the height.
To install the new window remove the inside trim,
cut the sash cords, remove the sashes, parting strips and pulleys.
Run a bead of caulk against the outside blind stop and install the
windows with the screws provided with the window. Reinstall the interior trim and you’re done. The windows will come with two “spare parts”. One is an aluminum angle that gets installed on the outside at the sill to fill the gap left from installing an equal legged replacement window on an existing sloped wood sill.
The other is a vinyl “U” channel that slips over the head of the window.
Good Luck
Jon 8)