Struck Off Property for Sale by Tax Office

I have heard and read conflicting opinions about tax sales where the property receives no bids at the day of sale here in Texas and is “struck off”. The statute i read says that the right of redemption is still in place and one web site I visited says that the right of redemption is no longer in effect. What are the rules and laws and when does the clock start ticking if there is a right of redemption.

Thank you,
Ted P. Stokely Jr
11505 Sw Oaks
Austin, Texas 78737
512-301-9171 home
512-587-6177 mobile
tedstokely@austin.rr.com

Ted,

I believe the short answer to your question is: it depends. Assuming that we are dealing with non-homestead, non agricultural property, the redemption period is six months. In some counties, tax-sale property that recieves “no-bid” is struck-off and a deed is recorded in the county’s favor. In practical terms, what this means is that the recording of the deed starts the redemption clock against the owner. Perhaps a hypothetical will help illustrate this point. Ted is delinquent on his property tax (non-homestead, non agricultural property) and his property is legally placed for sale on Jan. 6, 2004. There are no bids on the property. On January 9, 2004, a tax-sale deed is recorded on behalf of Bexar county. On August 9, 2004, Roger purchases the property at a Commissioner’s Resale. On August 10, 2004 a deed is recorded on Roger’s behalf. Ted’s right to redeem has lapsed and Roger takes free from redemption worries.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
RE

EN

Thanks for your help on this. That was a very good illustration. It was a bit confusing especially the web site that I visited. They are wrong on the price on one property too. I am high bidder at 4300 and the mininum bid at the county is 43000. Hope I win. Can not wait to see if they ask for the funds + the 5% fee. Thanks for your help.

Good luck and thank you,
Ted P. Stokely Jr
11505 Sw Oaks
Austin, Texas 78737
512-301-9171 hom

Roger got it right!

Good job and great explanation!