We apologize, but the forums are closed for new posts. Click Here To Join The Unemployables Facebook Group

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2022, 05:46:25 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2022, 05:46:25 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Author Topic: kitchen cabinets  (Read 21726 times)

Offline kdhastedt

Re:kitchen cabinets
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 03:20:22 pm »

The worst is already gone...I can get cabinets in about an hour at the factory.  I am still using the avacado sink during the rehab but am going to FedEx it to Mark Haas when I yank it out...

Keith
I have CDO...it's like OCD but in alphabetical order - the way it should be!

Offline LoriK

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 04:00:40 pm »

Not that sort of shag...but that's what the wall in the half-bath looks like it was used for...

LOL...

Ewwww...!!!

For a rental - cheaper cabinets. If you are flipping to sell - spend the money. 2 places to spend money are kitchens and bathrooms.

Do check with local millners (is that the word?). They can be much cheaper than HD or Lowe's.

Offline Lizbuyshouses

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 08:37:05 pm »
I love the humor in this forum.   I was walking around Home Depot this weekend when I heard my partner gasp loudly.  I turned and couldn't believe my eyes.   The feature commode/sink set was all in a very 70's reminicent beige.  

Beige not your color?

Never fear, there is a catalog of colors you can choose, how about lavendar?   Sky blue anyone?

Keith - your avocado sink might be ready for a reincarnation as the new hipster color....

Okay seriously, kictens can be a big wow factor when selling a flip/rehab.   My two cents?  Do it right.   I can't tell you how many bad kitchen jobs I see.   Even if you buy affordable cabinets, take time to install them well and make sure the countertop is lined up and level.  

If the budget allows throw in one or two bonus features like a knife drawer or built in lazy susan.   Buyers go nuts when they think they are getting a "fancy kitchen".  

Liz
Liz
Dedicated to the ethical creation of wealth

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 07:45:08 am »

Liz,

This is actually a buy-and-hold rental property.  But, my rentals are clean, neat, freshly painted, and serviceable.  We believe that, just because people rent, it doesn't mean that they should receive sub-standard amenities.  We keep our properties nice and expect the same of our tenants.

On the flip side, we've had several people stop and say that they saw our vehicles and wanted to see if they could rent our new project because they liked the last one so much (it was a higher priced area/property that they couldn't quite afford)...

Keith

Offline drcpr

• PrescottFSBO.com
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 08:51:25 am »
"..........But, my rentals are clean, neat, freshly painted, and serviceable.  We believe that, just because people rent, it doesn't mean that they should receive sub-standard amenities.  We keep our properties nice and expect the same of our tenants.........."

I so totally agree with this.... learned it well when we owned an old motel that we did weekly rentals....
generally speaking, if the landlord doesn't appear to care about the property, it is highly unlikely the tenants will care either. They are more likely to care if they are expected to care & actions speak louder than words...
IMO a rental does not need to be fancy as much as it needs to be clean & good repair - this is of the utmost importance. Just shows respect for others I think

Offline Lizbuyshouses

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 08:03:28 pm »
Keith -

I agree.  I actually buy larger than average homes in nice neighboorhoods.  I'm enjoying some great successs with buying the spacious ugly duckling and doing some affordable and strategic "prettying-up".

We pride ourselves in provding a quality home and have been rewarded with high end rental income and flawless tenants.  

I love this business.

Liz

Liz

Offline zzzzzzcobra

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 08:08:31 pm »
Liz,
Whats the typical sq ft of one of your rentals and the typical total cost of the property then the typical rental income you would receive from one of these units.

Offline Lizbuyshouses

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 03:30:37 pm »
Off the top of my head:

I have two right now:

Small One is 1600 Sq Ft - Paid $150 2 years ago now valued at $285K
PITI is $795/mo, rental income after paying prop mgr is $1125/mo.  Dont know my expenses right off.  Vacancy at 95%.  

Larger One is 1825 Sq Ft -  paid $180 sept 2004.  Just appraised for $250 and I've not put a cent into it.   This one is a break even on rental so I keep the chasflow of the smaller home as a hedge against costs on both.

Both in nice neighborhoods that are experiencing an enthusiastic revival.

Liz
Liz

Offline Ms. Investor

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 02:23:24 pm »
The property that I just purchased needed an entire new kitchen. It was outstandingly outdated. At first I was going to paint them, but didn't like the way that it was looking. I threw out the cabinets and replaced them with pre-made cabinets from Lowes.. we bought the cabinets for the entire kitchen for around a grand. They come completely finished and read to hang. It saved enormous amounts of time and money.

If i were to take that week to sand and re-paint the old cabinets it would have costed more than a grand in time and money.. so it was by far worth it..

Offline txwook

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 09:04:19 am »
I agree with some of the posters who have recommended refacing. It can really look great.

Offline seanmathes

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 11:43:24 am »
Anyone have any opinions on sub2 home. I am buying a rehab that needs new cabinets. The problem with these is that several of the doors are actually missing and some of the hinges on others are ripped out. Any suggestions.
Would like to meet other experienced investors in my area (Denver Metro)

Offline David A. Hurlbrink

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2006, 02:55:17 am »
Keith,
  You have the perfect rental for Tommy Chong, dude!! ;)
What's that idiotic show where they create TV themes throughout the house? Call Eric Forman and you've got your tenant in as is shape...lol. ::) Sorry, I couldn't resist since I was raised in the 70's burnt orange shag, avocado appliances and the pepto sinks. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Regards,
Dave
David A. Hurlbrink
President/CEO, The Blue Mesa Group
REI, Mortgage Lending
Top Quality Cedar Log Homes
Office: (505) 866-0974

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2006, 03:34:01 pm »

Sorry, David but the only thing currently left is the green kitchen sink (but it's promised out (Mark wants it, I think -- LOL)...

I bought a 48" oak bathroom vanity for $138 at the cabinet factory.  The same thing was $289 at Lowes.

Keith

Offline whatsagirltodo

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2006, 08:45:22 pm »
kdhastedt,

Is the cabinet factory just in your area?

Offline kdhastedt

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 06:24:10 am »

I would guess that there are others around the country...there is one near my parents in Virginia, but I generally use the one that's 40 miles.

:)

Keith

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines