Saving Money on Rehabilitation Projects

Hello to all reading this email

I am about to do my first rehab project, and I am interested to obtain the advice of investors versed in this area. I am debating whether to hire a General Contractor to perform the work or to hire subcontractors. I have read that hiring subcontractors is the route that an investor should take if he desires to minimize rehab costs. Can anyone provide information from experience that indicates the cost difference between hiring general contractors as opposed to hiring the subcontractors independently?

Opinion:

Most jurisdictions require that homes that are remodeled for sale or rental require licensed contractors perform the work. in other words, a “homeowner permit” cannot be pulled. I would not recommend being dishonest and pulling the homeowner permit, as you are risking too much.

That being said, subs that are licensed can pull permits for their work. So, the mechanical, plumbing, and electrical permits can be taken care of by subs, but what about the building permit itself?

If you find someone who is licensed to pull th permit for you, they are responsible for being the project to a passed inspection.

My advice–find a GC, work closely and ask questions throughout the project. Learn as much as you can.

Then, study hard and go get your GC license for future projects. There are few real shortcuts–experience is what gets you there.

In the long run, it could be more costly for you to GC a job on your own, without knowledge. Think of hiring a GC as hiring a tutor for yourself.

Tom

depending on what you are doing, you might not need the permits. Elaborate more about the house and what needs to be done to it. Then also let us know what you are going to do with it after its rehabbed.

Thanks for the responses tominmichigan and black95gt. I appreciate the feedback. Have an excellent day.